Saturday, September 12, 2009

FInding an artistic point of view

Lately I fell like I've been in a rut creatively. I can make stuff sure, put things together and so forth but I dont feel as though I have really been doing my best as far as my creations. I have been super focused on using the right beads and materials to keep my prices low, because I mostyly sell at craft fairs - people want a bargain. At least the ones Ive been to. SO I feel like Ive been throwing things together.
I do have a ton of beads, but sometimes Im afraid to put too many different ones into a design or to get too elaborate because I want to keep my prices low. So most of my designs tend be be more of the "basic" variety. I see a range of different priced and quality jewelry on artfire and etsy and seee that is sells - so what is my problem?
The last episode of project runway really inspired me. I dont remember exact quotes, but TIm GUnn was reviewing a desiners outfit and basically said, This is nice but, what does this say about you as a designer. You are not expressing your point of view. and at the Runway Heidi and the judges said that the runway is a place to push the envelope. So, iIve decided to start pushing the envelope.

Im really inspired to start designing instead of making. Tonight I made a simple neclkace and earring set , using purple sky quartz rounds, chez glass, funky spacer beads and my fave chandelier bases, which I love, and one going to make the same one in a different color - instead I I looked through my bead collection and decided to push the envolope to the brownish red round gemstones I added purplish, reddish, brown chips that I have had forever and did ot know what to do with, I mixed them with some base metal silver toned chain that I had on hand, and added to different color acryllic leaf charms dangling of chain accented with beaded droplets. totally fresh design.

Although I find both necklaces attractive, the desing element n the second is definitely more original and unique. I plan on posting both to artfire tommorow amnd linking back to this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment